My good friend, Dawn, is obsessed with Bonaire. She visits the island twice a year, and I swear she only makes these rum ball so she can feel like she’s on a tropical beach when she’s back in Staten Island.
- 4 ounces pecans, about 1 cup
- 4 ounces Medjool dates, pitted (about 7 large)
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- In a food processor, pulse the pecans until they are coarsely chopped.
- Add the dates and pulse until they are coarsely chopped.
- Add the salt and rum and pulse until the mixture comes together and forms a chunky paste.
- Shape the mixture into small balls, around the size of a gumball.
- Roll the balls in coconut.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week; serve at room temperature.