Decadent Hot Chocolate
I love me some hot chocolate, especially on a cold winter’s night, while lounging on the couch catching up on my shows. I used to be guilty of buying the packaged stuff, which honestly doesn’t even taste that good. I was just too damn lazy to make it from scratch, until I came up with a solution: Make a large batch of ganache, scoop it, freeze it and store it in zip-top baggies. Now when I want a cup of the good stuff, all I have to do is warm it in some milk (and cream!)
When I’m feeling bougie (which is pretty much always), I like to jazz it up with fun toppings. My favorite version is a S’mores Hot Chocolate. I add a dollop of fluff, whipped cream and some toasted marshmallows – and, don’t forget the graham crackers, for dipping!
Decadent Hot Chocolate
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE BALLS (Makes approximately 22)
- 10 ounces 66%-72% chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 ⅔ cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
FOR THE HOT CHOCOLATE:
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 Chocolate Ganache Balls
- ¼ cup bourbon cream, optional
- Whipped cream
- Additional toppings such as marshmallows, chocolate curls, sprinkles, etc., optional
- MAKE THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE BALLS. Place the chocolate in a medium-sized, heat-resistant bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk the cream, sugar, cocoa powder and salt until well combined.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer over medium heat.
- Pour the hot cream mixture over the chocolate, gently wiggle the bowl so that all the chocolate is submerged, and then let it sit for 2 minutes before whisking until a homogeneous, silky ganache forms.
- Refrigerate the ganache until set, at least 2 hours.
- Using a medium-sized (1-ounce) cookie scoop, scoop the ganache into mounds.
- Place the scooped mounds onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze until solid.
- Place the frozen mounds into a zip-top bag and store in the freezer until ready to use for up to 3 months.
- MAKE THE HOT CHOCOLATE. In a small saucepan, heat the milk and cream over medium heat until it begins to steam.
- Add the Chocolate Ganache Balls and stir to melt.
- Continue to heat until desired temperature. Pour into a mug and top with whipped cream and your favorite toppings.